Thursday, June 18, 2009

Well! I think that I just aged 20 years & perhaps my hair will now grow out gray & I will find my eyebrows on my pillow when I wake up due to the STRESS. Last week my heart literally stopped beating as I watched Spencer fall out of the cart at Costco. I was talking with a friend from the mish & James was watching Spencer. The little dude got a antsy just sitting there - so James let him play in the back part. James was watching him the whole time - pretty much ignoring my & my conversations until my friend asked James a question....James turned to answer - not even having time to get a word out....when Spencer did a flip out of the basket & on to the cement floor.
I thought that I had just watched my little boy die. I ran over & picked him up. And as soon as he got his breath again - I was glad to hear him start to cry (scream actually). Spencer was laying on his back when I picked him up, but instantly his forehead started turning colors & getting bigger by the millisecond. I ran over to the freezer section & stuck a huge bag of corn on his forehead. He didn't like that at all.
Within seconds there was a worker guy standing in front of us...& bless his heart he was only trying to help...but really - SHUT UP! He started telling us how kids falling out of carts is a serious thing & that hundreds of children die from falling out of shopping carts each year - we should be grateful because our kid looks better than the last one he saw - her eyes were all smashed in - but yet we weren't out of the woods yet!
Shortly another worker-lady showed who handled the situation a little better (not tough to beat). She called for some ice & a fruit slushie. As we were trying to console our screaming baby - who was looking at us to make the pain go away - I was so made at the stupid shoppers who asked me to move so that they could get their stupid veggies. HELLO! WAKE UP!
My parents also happened to be at Costco - they were not too far away when they saw the commotion. They too were scared & didn't know what to do. I had my dad go get some Tylenol so that we could give it to Spencer....& of all times for us to forget his bottle.
Yes at least Spencer was crying & awake....I wasn't sure what to do (other than not have anymore children)....but there were too many things that could potentially go wrong so James & I decided to take Spencer to the ER - what did we come to Costco for anyway!
Both James & I were shaking & a little in shock. James felt very guilty - I quickly informed him that it definitely wasn't anyone's fault...it could have happened just as easily to me. However, I did think that if only Spencer would have taken a nap that afternoon (not because we didn't try)...perhaps he would still be sleeping & we wouldn't have gone to Costco.
When we got in the car this is when Spencer pass-out. I could not wake him up. His eyes rolled back in his head & he was out. I think he then fell asleep & since I couldn't wake him up I figured he was still breathing so I'll just leave him alone.
He didn't wake up until I layed him down to get his weight & the nurse started feeling his forehead - well then the tears started coming again.
When we got to the ER of course the waiting room was so crowded - that was OK because I needed to know that Spencer was OK. We waited about 15 minutes when they called us back to get the Cat-scan. Well, this was the part where someone had to hold Spencer down - I nominated James (& it was unanimous) because I didn't want to see Spencer cry anymore....so instead I heard him from outside the door. Normally they would tape his head down across his forehead....so James got to try & hold it. The tech said they would have the results in about 20 minutes...of course an hour and a 1/2 later we still hadn't gotten the results...& by this time he was starting to act normal - playing ball & entertaining everyone in the waiting room.
I have 2 friends that work at the ER so when we checked in - wouldn't ya know that neither of them working working....so I was very surprised to see Amber come into the waiting room & call Spencer's name to come back. She said that she had just come on shift & was given the paper of the patient's who had to be taken care of. She noticed Spencer's name immediately & helped us first. YAY! I'm sure she saved us I lot more time just waiting.
She quickly pulled the results up from the scan & I was relieved to see that they were normal - no fractures, no internal bleeding. Spencer was going to be okay. However, I was still trying to work things out in my mind, how Spencer landed on his back but instantly his forehead starting bruising & swelling. I was grateful that I would be able to sleep. The doctor came in & did a complete exam on Spencer hoping to not miss any injuries - he checked him everywhere - even his mouth where was had noticed blood....he checked out OK & gave us a list of things to look for (basically a change in normal activity) & said to watch for these up to a week because complications still could happen.

I slept well until 3:47 - this was when I woke up in a complete sweat. I was reliving the nightmares from earlier. And this was when it became clear to me exactly what had happened....Spencer fell from the cart - he did a flip - where on the way down he hit the underneath side of the basket with his forehead & then landed on the cement. After realizing this I had to see if Spencer was still breathing...was he still OK? So I got up & checked on him. He was sound asleep & perfectly fine. It was me who started having a melt down....did they do a scan of the whole brain or just the forehead? I started running through every scenario & freaking myself out. So much for sleep.....in the morning Spencer woke up & was just fine.
I think he remembered falling or still had a bad headache because for the next couple of days he kept hitting his head with his hand & saying "bonk".
The next problem we have is trying to let it heal...you know when something hurts it's like a magnet to keep bonking it or for people to hit it. So since then, Spencer keeps falling & hitting his forehead in the same exact place...it still has a big knot & bruise....this is just during normal play time...then we were at the store the other night & Spencer ran into what he probably thought was a soft cushiony bed - he found out quickly that it was a hard piece of wood behind the soft cloth -nothing soft about it - he ran into it full speed ahead only to bounce off it onto the hard floor hitting the same spots again (once again he did not have a nap) - he's still the cutest kid on the block.

4 comments:

Justin and Lindy said...

OH my gosh that is so scary! I would freak out to especially since you know all the possibilities. Good thing he's ok, and by the way AWESOME they finally figured out what was up with all the pain! Yeah drugs! Lets hang out after Ava gets here!

gigi said...

I am so sorry for Spencer's accident, what a NIGHTMARE! I hate those kind of days.

Eyrings said...

Wow what a day, I'm glad everything turned out ok. Last week Shaylees 4 yr old cousin picked her up and fell over with her on the tile Shaylee hit her head and her cousins teeth went through her lip. It sure puts you through the roof doesnt it.

gigi said...

Blessings for you and your's on this our Nations Independence Day.
God Bless America!
Gigi