FROM ONE BASEMENT TO ANOTHER!!!!!
If this comes as a surprised to you....don't worry we are right there with you.
We had done all that we could do in Indiana (as far as work goes)....& it was time to say "when"! So the Saturday before Thanksgiving, we got the "OK" for us to move (back to Utah of course). We looked at the weather & decided that if we were going to move NOW was the time. So we had to act fast. We got a truck & packed up! Since we literally were living out of boxes, packing was NOT a hard job! By Monday afternoon we were ready. At 4:45 that afternoon - we drove off saying goodbye to our "home" in Indiana.


We had done all that we could do in Indiana (as far as work goes)....& it was time to say "when"! So the Saturday before Thanksgiving, we got the "OK" for us to move (back to Utah of course). We looked at the weather & decided that if we were going to move NOW was the time. So we had to act fast. We got a truck & packed up! Since we literally were living out of boxes, packing was NOT a hard job! By Monday afternoon we were ready. At 4:45 that afternoon - we drove off saying goodbye to our "home" in Indiana.
It was sad to leave Lindsey, Jared & their 3 kids. We had enjoyed getting to know them. Spencer loved playing with the kids.
In our minds, we were set on living their for who knows how long. We were just trying to get to a place where we could find our own house. There were many aspects of Indiana that we had grown to love. There was the small town feel of Plainfield (yet big enough to have all the stores & restaurants that you want), they had a great kids program at the library, everyone there was very friendly, spiritual & non judgmental. Most of all they had el Meson (our new favorite Mexican restaurant) and garage sales. I LOVE garage sales (at least out there)! Garage sales are huge......they go for three days & they actually have nice things. That is what I looked forward to every week.

No one in either of our families new that we were heading back home (except for Lindsey & Marcia). Marcia replaced Dad as our navigator & person who could picture "right where we are at". She was surprised at what a big & stressfull job that was. But she helped us through nonetheless. Because of our spontaneous decision - we were stuck driving by ourselves with no help with Spencer. So James was in the "big rig" & Spencer & I followed in the camry. This was a bit stressfull for me....as Spencer HATES care rides of any length. So I had my car door full of toys to hand him, and a box of food beside me to give to him (one cheerio at a time). When we were desperate we stopped & bought a car adapter charger thing so that we could plug in our portable DVD player to play his favorite signing time video (that was a life saver). During the crying & screaming times I had to keep reminding myself that it would all be worth it when we surprised our parents.


I had to throw my parents off a bit so that there would be no way they suspected anything (they knew that there was a chance we would be coming back in the near future, but who knew when)....so I called my dad & acted sad that we weren't going to be with everyone at the Thanksgiving Dinner (which was Wednesday night). I asked them to set up the web cam at the table so that we could "eat" with them. When they didn't go for this I asked them to at least call before they were going to eat so that we could at least "be together" for the Thanksgiving Dinner prayer. I know that my dad thought this was a stupid idea, but later we found out that this was the big clue that I was very lonely & missing everyone. My plan was working.

Somehow our traveling plans worked out perfectly. The family was going to be eating at 6:00pm & we arrived at 5:30pm. So we hid ourselves in the church parking lot for about 45 minutes - we primped, changed our clothes & played in the big truck! Every once in a while we would spy on the family's house...we knew exactly when Marty & Marjorie arrived & what they emptied from their trunk! When we saw McKay & Danielle come - that gave us the green light. We sneaked around to the back of the house to see where everyone was hanging out. They were all in the back of the house - so we went to the front. We went into the front room - good thing there was plenty of noise going on in the back of the house.
After much debate, we decided to have Spencer let them know that we were here. He performed beautifully! We had him crawl into the kitchen....instead of crawling all the way, he got distracted by the table with fun chairs. He stopped there & stood up by one of the chairs. People were all around him, but no one saw him. McKay was cutting the turkey literally two feet away from Spencer. It was going on 5 minutes now when Spencer suddenly got the hiccups....that is when McKay finally noticed him. Apparently he heard the hiccups and turned to see where it was coming from. He saw Spencer staring at him....he only turned and pointed. The rest of the family saw McKay turn & point (they thought that he was pointing at a mouse or something) so they came & looked. They gathered around Spencer but only stared at him. Other than my mom gasping, there was no noise or anything....just staring. That is when I decided to jump in & yell "SURPRISE"! When I did this, it changed nothing.....just stares. I started laughing because then everyone was just looking at me. I was waiting for some hugs & kisses...but no! Other family members were in the other rooms who heard my laughing. At first they thought that my dad had called me already & it just happened to be a very clear phone call. Soon they realized that I was here.....they were the first to come & give hugs & kisses while the others were still staring. I guess they were trying to process everything. This was the best surprise EVER!

In our minds, we were set on living their for who knows how long. We were just trying to get to a place where we could find our own house. There were many aspects of Indiana that we had grown to love. There was the small town feel of Plainfield (yet big enough to have all the stores & restaurants that you want), they had a great kids program at the library, everyone there was very friendly, spiritual & non judgmental. Most of all they had el Meson (our new favorite Mexican restaurant) and garage sales. I LOVE garage sales (at least out there)! Garage sales are huge......they go for three days & they actually have nice things. That is what I looked forward to every week.
No one in either of our families new that we were heading back home (except for Lindsey & Marcia). Marcia replaced Dad as our navigator & person who could picture "right where we are at". She was surprised at what a big & stressfull job that was. But she helped us through nonetheless. Because of our spontaneous decision - we were stuck driving by ourselves with no help with Spencer. So James was in the "big rig" & Spencer & I followed in the camry. This was a bit stressfull for me....as Spencer HATES care rides of any length. So I had my car door full of toys to hand him, and a box of food beside me to give to him (one cheerio at a time). When we were desperate we stopped & bought a car adapter charger thing so that we could plug in our portable DVD player to play his favorite signing time video (that was a life saver). During the crying & screaming times I had to keep reminding myself that it would all be worth it when we surprised our parents.
I had to throw my parents off a bit so that there would be no way they suspected anything (they knew that there was a chance we would be coming back in the near future, but who knew when)....so I called my dad & acted sad that we weren't going to be with everyone at the Thanksgiving Dinner (which was Wednesday night). I asked them to set up the web cam at the table so that we could "eat" with them. When they didn't go for this I asked them to at least call before they were going to eat so that we could at least "be together" for the Thanksgiving Dinner prayer. I know that my dad thought this was a stupid idea, but later we found out that this was the big clue that I was very lonely & missing everyone. My plan was working.
Somehow our traveling plans worked out perfectly. The family was going to be eating at 6:00pm & we arrived at 5:30pm. So we hid ourselves in the church parking lot for about 45 minutes - we primped, changed our clothes & played in the big truck! Every once in a while we would spy on the family's house...we knew exactly when Marty & Marjorie arrived & what they emptied from their trunk! When we saw McKay & Danielle come - that gave us the green light. We sneaked around to the back of the house to see where everyone was hanging out. They were all in the back of the house - so we went to the front. We went into the front room - good thing there was plenty of noise going on in the back of the house.
After they realized that we were real, we got our hugs. The family said that they were not surprised but SHOCKED! At first they thought that we had flown in, but then were extra surprised to hear that we were there to stay. I had to keep remembering that they were not concerned about us...but there were happy that Spencer was back! We informed them about all that had transpired the last few days....I had to tell a few fibs to my dad when I talked to him. Actually the day before, he called on one of our stops as I was walking in to Wal-Mart. I was happy that I didn't have to lie to him then....because I was really at Wal-Mart walking around with Spencer!

We enjoyed the evening with my family....then the next day we surprised James family. We knocked on the door, & Donna answered. She thought that we were Melanie & her family. She said a casual hello & then did a double take.....she screamed for a minute....scared Spencer then he screamed for the next 5 minutes. It was fun surprising everyone.
It was nice to spend Thanksgiving with both of our families...but I do have to admit that it did not feel like Thanksgiving. We had different plans. We had planned on going to Aunt Nancy's & Uncle Myles & spending the day with them....then to spend the next day with favorite cousins Jeremy, Erin & their 2 kids. This was a big down side to leaving so quick.....we could not see that part of the family. I am sorry!

Now we are back! I did not waste any time....as I went to work at 7:30am the next morning. We have been back for a week and a half now & I have gone into work to do one thing or another every day except for one! It is nice that I was able to be kept on the pay roll & that I could step right in & start working again. Things are good...we are just trying to get settled again. We find ourselves in another basement....this time we have walls, paint & carpet (which my feet are thankful for). It is nice to be home!
We enjoyed the evening with my family....then the next day we surprised James family. We knocked on the door, & Donna answered. She thought that we were Melanie & her family. She said a casual hello & then did a double take.....she screamed for a minute....scared Spencer then he screamed for the next 5 minutes. It was fun surprising everyone.
It was nice to spend Thanksgiving with both of our families...but I do have to admit that it did not feel like Thanksgiving. We had different plans. We had planned on going to Aunt Nancy's & Uncle Myles & spending the day with them....then to spend the next day with favorite cousins Jeremy, Erin & their 2 kids. This was a big down side to leaving so quick.....we could not see that part of the family. I am sorry!
Now we are back! I did not waste any time....as I went to work at 7:30am the next morning. We have been back for a week and a half now & I have gone into work to do one thing or another every day except for one! It is nice that I was able to be kept on the pay roll & that I could step right in & start working again. Things are good...we are just trying to get settled again. We find ourselves in another basement....this time we have walls, paint & carpet (which my feet are thankful for). It is nice to be home!

7 comments:
Love it!!!! What a great recap...I felt like I was really there living it with you. I'm glad you're back home and happy. Thanks for the call today, it's always great to catch up. P.S. Spencer is seriously freakin' adorable!
I was wondering what all has happened! I heard rumors but never knew what was exactly going on! What a great surprise! We're glad your back! :)
Yay! You're back! Jason and I were so sad we missed your going away party. Are you still close by? Summer softball anyone?
"What The ...." is right! Thanks for leaving us high and dry...a little heads up would have been nice, we tried to hide our sadness and disappointment when we arrived at Myles that you ran away! Now, we're coming to Utah in a week, please don't move across country again to avoid us...:0)Hope to see you soon!
My mom told me you were back and I'm so happy--and I love the surprise! (I bet your family loved it even more!) I'm glad everything has worked out with your return. We'd love to see you some time! And your little Spencer is oh-so-cute.
Hooray! This is great news, although I haven't really kept up with your events since I heard you sold and were leaving?!? If you need anything, let me know...even a little Spencer friend, we'd love to play with him! Welcome back to Utah..Love, Car
So Cute!! I am glad you are back! Janell said she saw you working and I told her she was crazy. I said you moved a while ago. she was convinced it was you, so I check out the blog and here you are!! Yeah! Can you believe our boys are almost one!!
Post a Comment