We are in Indiana - Indianapolis area! James had a job offer which was too hard for him to pass up. So we packed up our belongings, put them in the covered wagon & started heading east. It took about 3 days to travel here....which I was OK with. I was even OK to wake up late, eat big breakfasts, exercise, shower.....& if that meant that we didn't get on the road until 11:30 or so - I was OK with that too! I was even OK with stopping off at Applebee's to eat some comfort food like a chicken oriental salad or at Bob Evans to get some yummy crepes. Well, if those stops took an hour or two.....that was fine by me.
We decided to take this job on Saturday the 16th of August...put our townhome up for sale on Sunday. On Monday we had it rented, Saturday the 23rd at 12 noon we were OUT with contracts signed. It was a whirl wind. We shoved everything into my parents house & spent the next week going through it. On Monday Sept 1st (Labor Day), the movers came & picked everything up & drove away. So for those of you who are having a hard time understanding all of this chaos....let me sum up. Basically we were out of our house ONE week after we had DECIDED to take this job. A week & two days later our stuff was GONE & we were living out of suitcases. I ask....WHY do the Shuman's have to do EVERYTHING fast in our lives. I would like to SLOW down a bit...like those people who were engaged for a few months, or those people who have time to pack up their own underwear so their little brother doesn't have to do it for them. We want to be those people!
We stayed at my parents for 3 1/2 weeks (arrived on Sat 8/23 & left on Thurs 9/18) until everything was finalized with the contract with the company. I was quite comfy there. It felt just like old times - except married & with a baby, & no stuff! I loved it! I think that my parents didn't mind it either....I mean sure James & I might of gotten in their hair a bit, but they were able to look past all of that because Spencer was there.
During that time we worked our final days at work (at least for James - I'll be back to mine!). We went out to eat at restaurants that we would miss, we even threw ourselves a little "C-U-Later" party where a lot of our friends & family showed up to say goodbye. That was fun. Saying goodbye to everyone was VERY emotional for me. That was HARD! No one should ever have to do that. That is just mean.
Even though I kicked & screamed & fought pretty hard, we still drove off & started our journey into the wilderness. I felt like we were headed into the depths of despair (now that we are here, I don't think that I was too far off).
With every corn field we drove past, and every pasture filled with NOTHING, I knew that we were "NOT in Kansas anymore". My heart & my eyes hurt....where was may family? Where were the mountains? Where is Cafe Rio? Where o Where?
We communicated with our nifty walkie-talkie's. James in one car and I in the other. Spencer even had his deluxe model car seat that James made for him. He absolutely HATES care rides for any length of time. So we thought that if we pimped up his seat for a bit more comfort that surely couldn't hurt....and you know what I really think that it helped. Besides a few episodes, he was a complete angel. He even slept for hours at a time -which has never happened before. It also helped that my mom was back there singing to him, feeding him, (holding him), and letting him watch his favorite show. He was in car-ride heaven...I think with the comfort of his new ride he forgot that he was in his car seat.

6 comments:
You sound so pathetically miserable. Poor little. You need to expound a little more on your living situation and downstairs set-up. It all is quite humorous so just laugh about it. Maybe James needs to blog about HIS side of the story. He might confess that he felt like a pioneer handcart company member headed east with a boulder in HIS handcart that would only let him tip toe to Indiana. Things will get better...can't say when but they will...just unpack your good sense of humor...I think it's one of those boxes that is in the back corner of the basement. I know it's there so get it out NOW... you're not the only one who has ever moved away from comfort... people do survive and live a full and happy life. Best of luck and welcome back to the blogging world. Keep it up!
Your sister is hilarious...not a lot of sympathy going on there. lol. Well I'm glad that you got there safely. Trust me, time flies a lot faster than you would think. We've already been here for over and year. We'll be home before we know it. Well I miss ya, give me a holla whenever you need to holla. Eat some Mexican food for me if you can find some. There isn't a lot of that goin' on here and I miss it. (Taco Bell doesn't count, we have that here) VIVA SALSAMANIA!
OMG Marianne - I had no idea!! I am so happy and excited for you both. I know it's strange but you will see that things will work out and you will love your "new" home. I do have to say though, you could have quit CUC without having to move across the country - it doesn't haunt you forever!!! ;) Just kidding, I will miss you (even though I haven't really seen you that often since I left hell, but I will still miss you) and Mr. Incrdible!! I LOVED the part when you said "does the Shuman's have to do everything so fast" that is hysterical - you guys really are the Incredible's!! Good luck, and keep us "posted" so I can watch Spencer get more and more adorable!!
Marianne ... I wanted to come to your party and see you before you left, but we missed it. I've been thinking of you, though! You are brave. Earlier in the year, Rob had a job offer in idaho falls (NOT as far away as you) ... he didn't ever really consider it, but I still cried at even the thought! :) I hope things are going well out there! Your little Spencer is so cute and you are a darling mom. Good luck with everything and keep us posted, out here! (I'll send you an invite to our blog because I don't know if you're on there.) love Kelsie.
I do hope you and Jimmy remember, any Colts perephenalia is FORBIDDEN!. Mike should be back in South Bend today, so I will track him down for you. Sorry it took so long. I hope its getting better.
Welcome to the Midwest!! I promise it's an awesome place! Jer had tons of fun seeing you, and we need to get together as much as possible! So come stay with us for Thanksgiving, it will be too much fun getting little Spencer and Ava together. Oh, and the Colts are actually an acceptable team to support, my faves after the Bears, of course. It's not like Utah has a pro team, so there's no infidelity in wearing a Peyton Manning jersey:0) Come see us!
Post a Comment